April 29, 2009

Tiki Bar Opening






If there was one thing we heard more than anything else when people found out we were new to Southern Maryland, it was that we had to go to the Tiki Bar Opening. You would never know it at first glance, but this little shack on Solomon's Island is the hottest thing to happen all year down here. (I am not kidding when I say its rural here.) The Opening of the Tiki Bar signals the start of the "season" for Solomons. That season includes everything from boating to fishing to summer tourism. On Friday, April 17, 2009, this otherwise sleepy town located at the point where the Patuxent River flows into the Chesapeake Bay was magically transformed into a tropical paradise. Thanks to hot temperatures and plenty of sun, the 30th annual opening of Tiki Bar did not disappoint.
Keris and I were joined by Amy and Steve, some very dear friends of ours from DC. We had an amazing time enjoying the good weather, the tasty drinks, and just good 'ol people watching over the sea of Southern Maryland locals. With the sounds of a live steel drum band and sand dumped everywhere on the streets, I really felt like we had just transported to a beach in the Bahamas. It was a little of slice of paradise. And its right here in our backyard...at least for the next four months. Until you are able to join us for a visit, enjoy the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment