April 27, 2009

Hanging Up My Boots....at least for now

Dance has always been a part of my life in some way. And it has always been by God's grace that I was able to make the most of what little training I had and pursue some of my biggest dreams. To me there is nothing like the rush of performing in front of a huge crowd. I got my first taste of performing in a pro sports venue while I was still in high school. My dance team was one of several that had the opportunity to perform at halftime for the Cleveland Cavs. It was at that point that I knew I was not going to walk away from dance after college. More specifically, it became my dream to continue performing as a professional sports dancer, aka pro cheerleader.
Shortly after college graduation, I began my pursuit of this dream, auditioning for 6 separate teams, through 8 separate auditions over the past 7 years. I have been through it all. The hard work at prep classes. The anticipation of tryout week. Being cut right away one year. Making it all the way to finals another year. Just to be cut again in round one the next year. I have traveled to several different states. I have cried in disappointment. I have laughed in joyous celebration. I have even trembled uncontrollably from nerves and from excitement.
Each audition brought a new set of challenges and a new set of triumphs. I have grown in both my dance performance and in my attitude. After all these years I can now walk into an audition with my head held high, feeling confident, knowing I will do my best. At the end of the day, no matter the outcome, I can look back feeling accomplished for just trying and being thankful to God for his will in my life.
And so it is with a thankful and content heart that I am able to hang up my dancing boots. This past March was my last attempt at becoming a pro cheerleader. I won't say that I am not sad about closing this chapter of my life. I have worked hard for this dream, but it is one that at this time I am choosing to move on from. Not giving up on. Just moving on to other things. I also won't say that I will never try again in the future. Someday I just might be one of those crazy 40 year olds who just auditions for the fun of it - because I can. Until then I will look fondly on my days as a performer, and I will wait expectantly for what God has planned next.

In case you are curious about my audition timeline:
2002 Cleveland Cavs Dancers
2003 Buffalo Bills Cheerleaders
2004 Buffalo Bills Cheerleaders and Ambassadors
2006 Jacksonville Jaguars Cheerleaders (Made it to finals!)
2007 Jacksonville Jaguars Cheerleaders
2007 Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders (lifelong dream fulfilled just auditioning for them)
2008 Jacksonville Axe Maiden Cheerleaders (Made this team! Semi-pro, but its a start!)
2009 Washington Redskins Cheerleaders and Ambassadors

Pictures:
NOHS Eaglets
Mount Union College dance team
Jacksonville Axe Maidens
Audition Pics






1 comment: